Posted to misc.consumers.house
Howard Beale[_2_] Howard Beale[_2_] is offline

Default Switch timer does not work with flourescent bulb?

wrote:
Is there a problem using a switch timer with a flourescent long-life
bulb? I have had 2 timers do strange things when I replaced an
incandescent bulb with a flourescent. The timer seems to turn on the
light during the day instead of at night. It works fine for a couple
of days, then gets confused with the timer settings.

I've used a bunch of Intermatic timers with fluorescent lighting, including
both CFLs and 4' tubes, without any problems.

I have had flaky results with low-end motion-sensitive wall switches and 4'
tubes, my guess is that the low-end ones are built around resistive
lighting and the motion sensor power source or control is screwed up by the
inductive load of the transformers. Buying a better "commercial" switch
solved this problem.