Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

clipped

Another idea against a hack job is pull a permit and get the inspector
out during the job to be sure its being done right, this is their job
to be sure the job is done right, also call his insurance broker dont
just accept his insurance papers they can be forged or expired,[ I had
a guy forge his]. In the contract have Full Payment After City
Inspection. You would be amazed at what can be missed on purpose by
the roofer.

Good idea, but inspections probably vary wildly. We had a really,
really bad reroof of our condo.
Loads of shingles not nailed properly. When I got records on the
permit, the work passed
inspection but one worker had expired license. The SAME imspector
inspected seawall work
three years later ...... 13 tiebacks with new concrete anchors for the
seawall. The inspector
"red tagged" the work because there was water in the holes when he
inspected. Now, we have
two high tides on most days so it was irrelevant. Contractor couldn't
work the following day,
and it was mid-morning the next day when he showed up. Probably had
more to do with race
than any aspect of the work.