Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Low Water Pressure - City Water

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Jan 13, 4:30 pm, (Beachcomber) wrote:
I have a raised-elevation freestanding house on city water at the end
of the line with a long driveway. The problem is low water pressure
throughout the house. It's low coming into the house (20 psi or
so...) Otherwise..., the plumbing is OK.

This causes all sorts of incoveniences. Showers have no power. Basin
faucets go to a trickle if the washing machine kicks on, etc.

I know there are various booster pumps available. Are there any
alternatives? I was thinking of some sort of bladder tank arrangement
with a pump similar to well-water systems or possibly a standpipe...

Wondering if anyone can recommend the best solution, what worked for
them, and discuss pros and cons.

Beachcomber

Assuming you measured the pressure coming as static, i.e., nothing
being used:

The 20psi coming in is suspicious. I can't feature any city,
town...etc. supplying pressure that low. I would first check the
pressure at the meter. If low there, then the city (or whoever is
supplying the water) has a major problem. If high there, then you
have a serious flow restriction in the line between the meter and the
house.

Harry K

--

well, it's possible. my local town provides me with pressure at about 20 or
sometimes even less. the local tank for providing water is in the next

here's what they're replacing it with: http://chaniarts.blogspot.com