Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Quartersawn vs. Flat Sawn White Oak plywood veneer paneling

"blueman" wrote

Based on the input and picture references, I am leaning towards
quarter-sawn.

I am a novice at best in the world of finishing. What would you
recommend that would "do it justice" while also giving it a hard and
durable finish since the veneer is by definition thin and this will be
used in our mudroom where things will get banged around?

(I had only mentioned poly because I figured that with several coats
of satin, I could get it pretty hard but I am open to better solutions)

For QSWO, my current choice: 1 coat of Rockler "Mission Oak" gel stain:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...0oak%20stai n

Followed by multiple (your choice regarding number) coats of amber shellac
(Zinser BullsEye, available at most Borgs, is fine).

Shellac is one of the easiest finishes to apply and repair, and multiple
coats can be very durable for the intended use, IME.

YMMV ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07