Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Quartersawn vs. Flat Sawn White Oak plywood veneer paneling

blueman wrote:

White oak plywood is available in both "Quarter Sawn" and "Flat Sawn"
with the Quarter Sawn costing 2x as much. I am willing to pay the
extra money if the result is worthwhile but am not sure how noticeable
this is in paneling having never used Quarter Sawn. Any pointers on
the right way to do this?

Besides "ray flecks" quartersawn oak plywood normally has a straight
grained figure. Like this:
http://www.woodnshop.com/wood_images/REDOAKQT.jpg

Flat sawn looks more like this:
http://www.ukwest.biz/images/RedOak_plywood.jpg

Both examples are red oak, as Google images found that first. G White
oak will be similar, but smoother and a more pronounce ray fleck.

I usually prefer QS or the "rift sawn" (straight lined) sections of flat
sawn oak plywood, when I want the parts to have straight grain. Example
uses might be for trim boards or plywood stiles and rails. I'll
normally use wavy figured flat sawn plywood for simulated floating panels.

I've also built simulated frame and panel walls using QS throughout,
which created a very different look.

The bottom line is that either can be "right", depending on the final
look desired.