Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G Brian G is offline

Default differing strengths of cyanoacrylate ?

Si wrote:
When I first bought cyanoacrylate glue in the 70s from West Hyde
Developments it was amazing, sticking things fast & well. It was truly
magical.

Over the years of buying equivalents from stationers and sheds I've
felt that it lacked efficacy and had almost given using it.

But, when buying the well-mentioned IR thermometer from Maplin
recently I made up the order with their BondLoc brand of
cyanoacrylate. I've just had cause to use it and it's again the
amazing stuff I remember from years back.

Are there differing strengths of 'superglue'?

Yes - and the prevailing weather conditions.

This is based on the fact that way back around 1998, I was in control of
UPVC manufacturing and fitting teams and because we were getting problems
with superglues not sticking, I got landed with a three week investigation
as to why - and had to write a damned report about it.

From memory, it turned out that quality was a factor on "strength", along
with not applying a catalyst to the UPVC materials prior to 'gluing up' in
cold weather conditions - rather than how it was used by the operatives.

Yes, the material was changed to better quality and the catalyst used in
cold weather conditions.

NB: This may well have changed now mind as I have not been involved with
this sort of thing for some seven years now.

Brian G