Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Low Water Pressure - City Water

Big_Jake wrote:

On Jan 13, 6:30 pm, (Beachcomber) wrote:

I have a raised-elevation freestanding house on city water at the end
of the line with a long driveway. The problem is low water pressure
throughout the house. It's low coming into the house (20 psi or
so...) Otherwise..., the plumbing is OK.

This causes all sorts of incoveniences. Showers have no power. Basin
faucets go to a trickle if the washing machine kicks on, etc.

I know there are various booster pumps available. Are there any
alternatives? I was thinking of some sort of bladder tank arrangement
with a pump similar to well-water systems or possibly a standpipe...

Wondering if anyone can recommend the best solution, what worked for
them, and discuss pros and cons.

Beachcomber

Sorry - I have to ask - What does the city say about it? My city
water is 89 psi, and I have a friend in another state that has to have
a regulator to get his water down to a reasonable pressure.

JK

These high pressures are frequently the result of a city water
distribution system that didn't keep pace with development. They're now
undersized. The static pressure is high, at times of high load the
pressures drop quite a bit. And, water heaters get replaced a bit more
often.

Living with a well, I found that plumbing with 1" copper helps a lot.
My pressure tank is between 45 and 65 psi. The larger pipe means that
there is little distribution pressure drop.