Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:51:43 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

gunner if you bought a packet or two of wrigleys chewing gum (it's
sold all over australia, dont know about america)
enjoyed chewing the gum into a big well masticated lump. you can plug
the hole quite effectively with that.
the fuel will harden it to rock in short time.

I'm told it works as a bush repair quite well.

Stealth ( I'd pick the spearmint ) Pilot