Posted to alt.home.repair
John Albert John Albert is offline

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

I just had an 11 square roof torn off and replaced for
$4,400. It is
two story 12/12. It was a hail damage job, so that was the
amount the
insurance company allowed.

The house I need the roof done on is a smallish rectangular
2-story (1500 sq. ft. total). It has a single gable roof, no
dormers. One small "bay" on the side. A "lean to" type back
porch roof. And a standalone 1-car garage with a peaked
gable roof.

Only had one person look at it so far, before I could
mention it to him he came back down from taking measurements
and mentioned loose bricks on the chimney (which I knew I
had). He did say he'd get that fixed, copper sheathing
'round the chimney, etc. I expect to hear back from him soon....

- John