Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

John Albert wrote:

Hello all -

I've got an old house in Connecticut which needs a new roof.

It currently has at least 3 layers of old shingles on it, which
includes the original wood shingles over (what I guess are called)
batten strips on the rafters.

Reconstruction will involve:
- stripping off old layers of roofing down to the rafters
- installation of plywood sheathing and underlayment
- new shingles
- new trim

I will be getting estimates, but need some help as to pricing.

In the northeast, when a roofer gives a price, how is that done? By
"the square"? (which I -assume- is 10'x10', is that right?)

I know it's impossible to give an exact price without seein the job
involved, but could anyone offer ballpark or baseline prices per square?

Thanks,
- John

Here in Florida, the bids I have seeen are rather general. Each step of
the process and each product should be stated specifically.......deck,
underlayment, shingles, drip edge, fascia (if applicable), disposal and
CLEAN-UP. Ours was a reroof, and the deck was estimated at a dollar
amount per sheet. I also have run across lien release, in regard to
payment made by the contractor before work begins to make sure you
aren't liable if he doesn't pay his supplier.

It would be good if you have a neighbor with a similar roof who has
experience and can rec. a contractor. I have seen contractors advertise
the use of a magnet thingy to make sure all nails are picked up when it
is all done. We didn't have nails left around ....just lots of chunks
of old concrete roof tiles. They don't do the mower much good. If
fascia or edging need work, I would sure do it before the roofing if it
will interfere with drip edges by doing it later.

That is all I know about roofing ) Mfg. websites have good info about
installation, which is the basic minimum any homeowner should know in
advance so's you can discuss intelligently and make sure the job is done
right. I would also be there every minute that they are working.