Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

On Jan 13, 10:36 am, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

I've got an old house in Connecticut which needs a new roof.

It currently has at least 3 layers of old shingles on it,
which includes the original wood shingles over (what I guess
are called) batten strips on the rafters.

Reconstruction will involve:
- stripping off old layers of roofing down to the rafters
- installation of plywood sheathing and underlayment
- new shingles
- new trim

I will be getting estimates, but need some help as to pricing.

In the northeast, when a roofer gives a price, how is that
done? By "the square"? (which I -assume- is 10'x10', is that
right?)

I know it's impossible to give an exact price without seein
the job involved, but could anyone offer ballpark or
baseline prices per square?

Thanks,
- John

"trim" is called roof edge. You will also want to spec ice and water
shield. Also, whether chimney flashing is to be replaced. Also, a
grade of shingles, just for comparison sake (30 year would be a good
middle of the road). Also, venting if any.

The best specs in the world won't help you if you get a hack. To me
the number one priority is getting someone good. Ask around--nothing
like word of mouth.

Although roofers speak in terms of squares, most roofers will bid by
the job.

I just had an 11 square roof torn off and replaced for $4,400. It is
two story 12/12. It was a hail damage job, so that was the amount the
insurance company allowed.