Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

"John Albert" wrote

I will be getting estimates, but need some help as to pricing.
but could anyone offer ballpark or baseline prices per square?

I'll add to what the others said. Had my 1100 square foot house done, about
50% of the plywood replaced, in 2001. I live south of you and ice dams are
not an issue.

It was 5,500$ as part of a package deal that included siding so was cheaper
due to that. I have also a large garage and a huge back porch which would
have added at least another 200 square feet. (The siding was a separate
price, not part of that 5,500$).

A key item was how much each piece of plywood would run. I recall that was
70$ per panel and 150$ labor. I do not have a bunch of fancy dormers to
work around but do have a fireplace. The gutter work was part of the siding
job so not added in here. I had 2 layers of tiles to remove.

Roof looks great. Neighbors who waited are paying 40k and up now for the
same job, due to waiting too long so rafters now damaged and they too have
to be replaced.