Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default The Driverless Car in 10 years.

On Jan 13, 11:25 am, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:04:21 GMT, Dan Espen

wrote:
writes:

The latest in technology and being referred to as progress, the
Driverless Car. This has been on the news lately and they claim it's
been tested and will be available around 2018, or ten years from now.

These vehicles will be capable of doing the following things without
human intervention.

1. Deliver the rider to a destination
2. Accelerate and Decelerate
3. Change speed and torque to suit conditions and needs
4. Steer itself and turn in any direction
5. Stop
6. Backup
7. Park
8. Avoid obstacles in the way
9. Follow a pre-determined route
10. Haul cargo

According to some people, this has got to be the biggest advancement
in modern history. A person can get aboard, and leave the driving to
the car while reading the newspaper and drinking coffee, without
having to watch the road. To these people, this is the ultimate in
PROGRESS !!!!

Most important, the energy savings potential is immense.
With cars that drive themselves, private ownership of cars is no
longer necessary. Just push a button on your cell phone and
a car drives up to you in seconds to a few minutes and you are off.

I estimate we'd only need to build about 1/10 of the number of
cars we build today.

But wait a minute.......
This is NOT progress.......
This has already been invented, and has been around for many
centuries....

It's called a HORSE

A HORSE can do all of the ten things listed above, and better yet, it
does not rely on costly imported petroleum based fuels, and does not
pollute the environment.

Not according to the history books.
Horse manure was a major pollutant in the cities before the automobile.
Can you imagine the smell from 8 million horses at rush hour in NYC?

Better yet, it fertilizes crops and grasses
along the roadside.

With the number of people we have today, there isn't enough
roadside to hold the manure.

Best of all, unlike a car, the horse is also your
best friend.

Never had a horse friend.
I'd take a motorcycle over a horse every time.

I wont say I dislike motorcycles, in fact I look forward to a friend
giving me a ride this summer again.

But since you never had a horse friend, you dont know what you're
missing. I have several of them, and they are very special and
lovable creatures, as well as Mules, which I also have. I like riding
them, but I like even more just being around them. They're even more
friendly than most dogs, but not many modern people know that.

I will have to agree with you that in a large city, many horses could
be messy, although if we can develop a driverless car, I am sure we
could develop some device to control the manure. Come to think of it,
I would not mind having a device like that on my farm. The old fork
and shovel method can get tiring at times, and even with my
skid-loader to assist, I can not get into the stalls with machinery.
I look forward to summer when the horses do their business outdoors,
(except in severe weather storms), so I dont have to clean it.

I grew up with horses and mules. Will agree that some can be very good
friends and then like all else some can be otherwise. Remember one
mule we had that would kick you at every chance he got.. Also agree
that some dogs can be as mean too. Must be how they are raised from
birth. A lot like people!!!!!!!!!
Jack