Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

On Jan 13, 10:36*am, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

I've got an old house in Connecticut which needs a new roof.

It currently has at least 3 layers of old shingles on it,
which includes the original wood shingles over (what I guess
are called) batten strips on the rafters.

Reconstruction will involve:
- stripping off old layers of roofing down to the rafters
- installation of plywood sheathing and underlayment
- new shingles
- new trim

I will be getting estimates, but need some help as to pricing.

In the northeast, when a roofer gives a price, how is that
done? By "the square"? (which I -assume- is 10'x10', is that
right?)

I know it's impossible to give an exact price without seein
the job involved, but could anyone offer ballpark or
baseline prices per square?

Thanks,
- John

One area you can get taken on is chimney flashing, cheaply done and
sure to not last is it is caulked to the chimney, best is copper and
recessed into cuts into chimney mortar, mortared then caulk. Ive also
had roofers try to not replace rotted wood, sneak up a cheaper grade
rubber roofing use the wrong nails and leave a mess. Also consider
your venting issue seriously, since the old construction allowed air
to breathe and sheeting closes that up a bit, a few more vents cant
hurt if its an open attic.