Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

"John Albert" wrote in message

Reconstruction will involve:
- stripping off old layers of roofing down to the rafters
- installation of plywood sheathing and underlayment
- new shingles
- new trim

You are off to a good start knowing the amount of work to be done. Be sure
that all the roofers are quoting at least the minimum specifications to do
the job right.

I will be getting estimates, but need some help as to pricing.

In the northeast, when a roofer gives a price, how is that done? By "the
square"? (which I -assume- is 10'x10', is that right?)

No. You buy shingles by the square, but putting on a new roof involves much
more work than just nailing down the shingles. There are ridge lines,
valleys, dormers, flashings, ice dams, pitch, gutters, sheathing,
scaffolding, and a bunch of other stuff to consider. It is also not
possible to see the condition of the deck. Competent roofers will specifiy
"it will cost $X.xx per square foot of deck if it needs replacing."

Talk to at least two or three reputable roofers that have done work in your
area. If it is a complex job, you don't want the guy that owns a 20 year
old pickup, a hammer, and a ladder. That may be fine for the garage, not
for a complex job.

I know it's impossible to give an exact price without seein the job
involved, but could anyone offer ballpark or baseline prices per square?

No chance. In the past few years I've replaced about 60,000 square feet of
roof and have another 15,000 foot project to get started. The cost
difference and specifications for each varies to much to ball park. You may
be $10,000 or $20,000 or more. On one job, I had bids ranging from $110,000
to $154,000 for the same job. (I gave it to the guy that was $145k because
of his reputation and details of his quote)

Read the details of the quote carefully. When I had a metal built up roof
being replaced, one guy quoted how much it would cost to replace any wood
sheathing. Since there was none involved, I judged him to be incompetent
for the job. Another offered to tear off only part of the layers but I could
see deck damage from the inside and he should have too. He was not
considered.

If you are in the eastern part of the state, I'd recommend starting with M
Weisman Roofing in Rhode Island. 401-737-1940
http://www.weismanroofing.com/