Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

On Jan 13, 10:36*am, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

I've got an old house in Connecticut which needs a new roof.

It currently has at least 3 layers of old shingles on it,
which includes the original wood shingles over (what I guess
are called) batten strips on the rafters.

Reconstruction will involve:
- stripping off old layers of roofing down to the rafters
- installation of plywood sheathing and underlayment
- new shingles
- new trim

I will be getting estimates, but need some help as to pricing.

In the northeast, when a roofer gives a price, how is that
done? By "the square"? (which I -assume- is 10'x10', is that
right?)

I know it's impossible to give an exact price without seein
the job involved, but could anyone offer ballpark or
baseline prices per square?

Thanks,
- John

Before talking to any roofers, sit down with a competent architect and
draw up some specifications. It is vital to define the work since you
will be paying for something you expect to last many years. Some
pitfalls in your area, for example, are ice dams which can seriously
affect OSB sheathing. That will affect the price since plywood would
be preferred. You may want to consider metal roofing, long popular in
the NE and very durable, although somewhat pricey. Take your time, get
as much help as the budget will permit and don't get stampeded by
bargain roofing...in the trade, there ain't no sech thing. Good luck.

Joe