Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default New roof - how to evaluate estimates?

John Albert wrote:

Hello all -

I've got an old house in Connecticut which needs a new roof.

It currently has at least 3 layers of old shingles on it, which includes
the original wood shingles over (what I guess are called) batten strips
on the rafters.

Reconstruction will involve:
- stripping off old layers of roofing down to the rafters
- installation of plywood sheathing and underlayment
- new shingles
- new trim

I will be getting estimates, but need some help as to pricing.

In the northeast, when a roofer gives a price, how is that done? By "the
square"? (which I -assume- is 10'x10', is that right?)

I know it's impossible to give an exact price without seein the job
involved, but could anyone offer ballpark or baseline prices per square?

Thanks,
- John

Well, you are asking one question in the header, and another in the
body. If you want to evaluate the estimates, then you would write up a
scope of work which you give to each contractor for them to bid on.
Then you get references from each one. Look at the previous work that
they did and ask the references about them. Throw away the lowest bid
and then choose from the rest according to price and your trust level in
their work history.

If you want to know how much it is going to cost, then I would say about
$20 per square for tear off, 1.00 per sf for decking (1/2" OSB, and
about 75 to 100 bucks a square for 30 or 40 year architectural shingles
(that price includes all "trim").

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.