Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Bathroom fan

Once you cut the opening for the fan, pull the electric cable down, drill a
pilot hole through the roof, and leave something sticking out so you can
find it. From on the roof, cut your 4 inch hole for the roof cap and install
it. Attach a short length of 4 inch flex to the roof cap through the
bathroom opening, then attach the flex and cable to the fan and install the
fan from below. There should be no need to crawl into the attic

wrote in message
On Jan 13, 12:15 am, Steve wrote:
" wrote on 12 Jan 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

On Jan 12, 1:42 pm, " wrote:

RBM says that Panasonic fans can be installed completely from the
bathroom without going into the attic. The wiring is already there,
and the roof vent is a minimal problem. I've looked at the Panasonic
installation instructions, and it appears that you attach a plate to
the joist. This plate contains the air outlet and the wiring. Then
the rest of the box is slid onto it. Can anyone verify this?

I can't see your instructions from here, so you're in a better position
judge that particular unit. The last time I installed a bathroom ceiling
fan I drove screws through holes in the side of the box directly into a
joist. If I remember correctly, the unit had some type of arms on top
that
could be extended to adjacent joists in case you wanted it centered.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Here are the instructions I was looking at. The FV-08VQL4 model looks
like it would work for me.