Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
The Streets The Streets is offline

Default Bathroom fan

"Steve" wrote in message
.128...
" wrote on 12 Jan 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

snipped

My question is: is there a fan box available that can be mounted from
inside the bathroom? I'm thinking of something like the "old work"
electrical boxes. I have thought about simply running screws through
the box into to joist. If I must go into the attic, I can probably do
that provided I wear a respirator and some sort of disposable
coveralls because of the fiberglass.

You'll have to go into the attic to cut the hole in the roof for the
other end of the exhaust pipe. Or, you could run the pipe over to the
nearest soffet and use an appropriate cover.

You don't want the moist air blowing into the attic because it will
cause the insulation to get wet and compact. All that moist air leads to
condensation which results in mold and mildew in the attic.

The disposable coveralls are a good idea. I just take a shower
afterwards to get rid of the itch. For some reason, I never have the
bunny suit with me when the client needs attic work, because they always
forget to mention that part of the job. Client: "I just need you to
cover up the stain on my ceiling." Me: "Is there a leak?" Client: "Yes,
but it's fixed." When I arrive, I find the leak isn't fixed, it just
hasn't rained for three months.

Never tried this myself but I've heard from some old pros that if you
get fiberglass insulation on you, it's best to take a shower in cold
water first to close your pores. Then use hot water to wash off the
fiberglass.