Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Unusual 1/4-18 tap

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Tom,
They are still available, but usually special order.
Steve

"Tom" wrote in message
Don Young wrote:
Going through some old taps I found a tap marked 1/4"-18. I know that is
the designation for a standard NPT tap but this tap is actually 1/4" in
diameter. Looks like a 1/4"-20 with coarser threads. Does anyone know of
an application for such a thread? I suspect it might have been made
mistakenly from a list of sizes which included the pipe thread. No
manufacturer identification and appears to be a cheap import quality.

Don Young

Had a look in a cat and 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 28, 30 and 32 tpi
taps
in 1/4" size, were in common supply, once.

Tom

Thanks to everybody for the information. If anyone ever needs such a tap,
you know where to borrow one!! I did notice that it had "CARD" on it so that
is probably the manufacturer.

Don Young