Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Fireproof safe

On 12 Jan, 18:48, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Standard practice in the UK. Not on the "outside outside", but if you
have a garage space that's inside the outside walls of a house, you
need a couple of layers of drywall (aka plasterboard) fastened up on
the _fire_ side of the structure. And that's for our style of house
construction with real bricks too, not US ticky-tacky boxes!

If your houses are built with real bricks, why do you need fire protection?

Floors and ceilings mostly. Although we build walls in masonry, we
tend to use suspended wooden floors rather than poured concrete slabs.
This is one reason why we popularly DIY install floorsafes, not wall
safes (other way round to the USA). Also drywall cladding is needed
for any penetration of the bricks, including around plumbing.

So when your adjacent garage / workshop roof leaks, there's a few
inches of rockwool to soak up the insulation, then a few layers of
plasterboard. By the time you even notice, it's a right old nasty mess
up there. Guess what tomorrow's job is? 8-(

If you have a _major_ fire in a UK house, it's almost always because
the fire has got into a roof or ceiling void and then spread that way.
Room fires are generally survivable (if you're elsewhere and leave),
multi-room fires are the ones that kill families (we've had a bunch
of them lately).