Gerald Miller

Default Shop computer question

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:09:21 -0400, Kamus of Kadizhar
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:07:58 +0000, NoOne N Particular wrote:

The spec for CAT5 is 100 meters which is around 330ft. Someone mentioned
seeing greater distances, and I have too, but I have also seen shorter runs
that were noting but trouble. It's all in the installation.

If the run is going to be outside, I'd go fiber optic. Copper will atract
electricity - all sorts, none of it good, the worst being lighting. I'd
also run the line in a watertight conduit. Insulation will break down
eventually; the conduit will make it last that much longer.

Just my $0.02.

--Kamus

Insulation made in the last thirty years seems to last quite well
unless it gets in the way of some manual excavation equipment. OTOH a
conduit provides additional protection and makes future replacement
much easier. The soft black polyethylene water pipe is about your best
value for direct burial, a bare conductor buried above the conduit
will help provide lightning protection.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada