Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Compression Fittings

David Klyne wrote:

I have recently extended some pipework using compression fittings. It
had been suggested to me that I should not over tighten the fitting
as the olive could cut into the pipe. Now I have notice on a couple
of the fittings that whilst they appear water tight there seems to be
a powery deposit forming round where the pipe goes into the fitting.
It suggests to me that I have not tightened them correctly but would
appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

David - Milton Keynes

Water *has* been leaking very slowly - and had probably immediately
evaporated, so you won't have seen any liquid - but it has left this
deposit. The original leak may well have silted up and cured itself. Try
cleaning the fittings with wire wool, and see whether the deposit
re-appears.
--
Cheers,
Roger