Posted to alt.woodworking, rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Jigsaws

On Jan 10, 2:55 am, Rob wrote:
I was looking for a 120v jigsaw in the $50 range. Local hardware store
recommended the Skil 4390-01 (Amazon page hehttp://www.amazon.com/Skil-4390-01-8.../dp/B000EB547Y
)

Any other ideas? Opinions on the Skil jigsaw?

Thanks!

For years I used the cheapest jig saws - once building a fence with a
pineapple desgn cut out of the pickets - lots of work.

Then, I finally got myself one of those barrel jig saws ($169.00) -
viva la difference! It was a Dewalt with one failing - the cast
footpad! But did it ever slice through wod! It would cut through 2 x 4
material with ease. It had several settings selected by means of two
levers (to this day I can't tell you what they were actually for!

I also bought a "better" sears model (#?? $40) at their outlet store
or closeout bin - I'm a frequent "closeout/returns shopper) and found
it as powerful as the DeWalt.

I've still got the older jig saws and they all work, but I've no
reason to pick any of them up. As my SEARS is miles away at teh
moment, I can't share the model number - likely its been re-issued as
something with a "laser" anyway and discontinued otherwise. And the
Dewalt was discontinued in favor of a model with a pressed steel base
that will not fit the model I bought!

At any rate, spend a bit more or try the discontinued/returns/closeout
bins and get some ass (higher amp rating a significant clue) in your
jig saw and you will not regret the purchase.