Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default How to Measure Strength of Small Springs?

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:01:24 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

I am attempting to lighten the ejector & extractor springs in a couple of
AR-15 based target rifles. My wife and I shoot in a league in May, and
it's all standing (offhand), one shot at a time. I would prefer A) not
to bounce hot brass off adjacent competitors, and B) not have to hunt for
brass flung all over the place.

http://www.dlsports.com/ar15_multipu...gas_block.html

Or stick on a brass deflector. They are legal under NRA rules

http://www.championshooters.com/stor...cat=277&page=1

Both rifles are flat tops, and have side cocking handles that will
probably require a custom deflector design. The side cocker is needed
because the adjustable butt stock has a raised cheek piece that
interferes with the standard charging handle:

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/parts.htm

I've already started thinking about how to build a deflector. Even if I
get the springs nice & light, a deflector will tend to bounce the brass
forward, which is an OK direction as long as they don't go too far. The
range is built on a swamp, and the firing line is a raised berm.
Bouncing the brass more than a few feet forward gets them in the tall
grass at the edge of the swamp. My hope is to come up with a soft
deflector that will drop them neatly on my shooting stool. if I can get
them into a cartridge box, I'll be really set...

Doug White