Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Radiosrfun Radiosrfun is offline

Default Rubber idler wheel rubber restoration

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
I've been volunteered to resurrect a Gerard A75 turntable and a Sony
250 reel to reel tape deck.

Both the turntable and tape recorder have rubber idler wheels that
have turned hard as a rock. Is it possible to soften the rubber with
some chemical?

In the 1960's I would just replace the rubber parts, so this was not
an issue. Now, I have to work with what's in front of me. Worse, I
have one shot to get it right and can't really risk a failed
experiment.

I've applied No-Slip goop to the outside of the idlers, which works
for a few hours and then starts to slip. That's not going to work.

I also have a bottle of foul smelling Methyl Prapasol Acetate, which I
use to clean and soften rubber parts in laser printers. It works well
for printers. However, my experience with the stuff on really old
rubber parts (over about 10-15 years) is that the rubber just
crumbles. I don't want to risk it.

Duz anyone have a better potion, elixer, process, or incantation for
softening rubber idler wheels?

# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

I'm not sure if anything here would help - but I believe - MCM Electronics
sells a kit of some sort. Check with them.
They do have a web site - maybe you can go there to look up the "keyword".