Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Load Span table -- 14-foot span

On Jan 11, 9:02 pm, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
In article 208b9b3d-8e27-46bd-9f35-9e0ed1a7f110@
21g2000hsj.googlegroups.com, (RicodJour)
says...

I just ran a quick calc with some large assumptions. I figured Hem-
Fir, No. 1 grade equivalent (older houses were generally built with
better wood),

Is hem-fir likely in New Jersey? I thought east coast wood was mostly
pine, which is substantially weaker than western woods.

I would think an engineered member (glu-lam) would be cheaper than
dimensional lumber for this application. Any decent lumber yard could
run the load calcs from a drawing and order the right beam.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Larry,

Ever hear of southern yellow pine? It probably the most commonly
available structural lumber in the east and in equivalent size and
spacing can span greater distances than douglas fir.