Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry Sjouke Burry is offline

Default Rubber idler wheel rubber restoration

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I've been volunteered to resurrect a Gerard A75 turntable and a Sony
250 reel to reel tape deck.

Both the turntable and tape recorder have rubber idler wheels that
have turned hard as a rock. Is it possible to soften the rubber with
some chemical?

In the 1960's I would just replace the rubber parts, so this was not
an issue. Now, I have to work with what's in front of me. Worse, I
have one shot to get it right and can't really risk a failed
experiment.

I've applied No-Slip goop to the outside of the idlers, which works
for a few hours and then starts to slip. That's not going to work.

I also have a bottle of foul smelling Methyl Prapasol Acetate, which I
use to clean and soften rubber parts in laser printers. It works well
for printers. However, my experience with the stuff on really old
rubber parts (over about 10-15 years) is that the rubber just
crumbles. I don't want to risk it.

Duz anyone have a better potion, elixer, process, or incantation for
softening rubber idler wheels?

Take out the wheels, put new rubber on them, freeze them with
liquid nitrogen,or CO2 liquid spray, then machine the cold,
hard rubber to the proper dimensions.
You might have to re-cool occasionally.
I dont think you can apply some magic to the old,almost crumbling stuff.