Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default How to Measure Strength of Small Springs?

I did something a whole lot simpler: I cobbled up two chopsticks, one
fixed, one (above the other) hinged. I put one spring between the sticks
at a marked point and hung a little weight off the end, and measured the
deflection. Then I put the other spring in and did the same thing. I
never measured the spring constant, but I knew for sure which spring
was stiffer.

GWE

Ned Simmons wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:01:24 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

Does anyone have any neat tricks for measuring spring constants, and/or
suggestions for comparing the strength of small springs? I'd also like
suggestions for spring vendors who sell small quantities. I've checked
McMaster Carr, and they don't have anything that small. Brownells has
0.088" diameter, and I'm a bit concerned that is small enough to kink in
the hole. Alternatively, how can I wind a spring that small?

This is one type of device used to test springs. It wouldn't be too
difficult to scab together something functionally equivalent in a
drill press or small arbor press.
http://www.imada.com/kst1.shtml

These places have a huge selection of springs, but quite expensive
compared to McMaster.
http://www.asraymond.com/
http://www.centuryspring.com/

You can wind serviceable springs with a little fussing on a lathe.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/springs.html
See Machinery's Handbook or any machine design text for spring design
formulas.