Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default Painting a straight line - accent wall, etc.

In article ,
says...

On Jan 11, 9:21 am, Red Green wrote:
"CM" wrote

Anyway, I've never used blue painters tape. Not sure what the premium
price is for. Doesn't wick maybe? Low adhesion? Masking tapes come in
various adhesions (1,2,3,x day, etc).

I dunno what constitutes a "premium" price - I usually pay about $1.50
for a roll of painters tape, doesn't seem too unreasonable...

I'm the opposite of you, I've never really understood what plain
masking tape is good for. We used it once because we ran out of
painters tape and, like everybody else, we just keep masking tape
around the house for little odd projects. Well, obviously, the paint
seeped right through it. It wasn't that it went under the edge, it
just seeped right through the tape. We ended up having to go out and
buy some painters tape anyway and then repaint the edge.

I'm not sure what the point of masking tape really is, but it
obviously isn't to mask paint.

It *was* to mask paint, but 3M came up with the blue tape, which was a very
superior product. Now that 'masking tape' isn't actually used to mask for
household paint much, some inferior (compared even to the old masking tape)
product has gotten out there which are OK for the other odd uses.

As far as cost - I agree; blue tape isn't *that* much more, and I value my
*time* that I'm putting into a project enough to make little investments to make
it come out right the first time.

Banty