Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Review of Benjamin's Best

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:07:49 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

I got a 5/8" bowl gouge. It cost $20 plus not including shipping. The
handle is ok lengthwise for me but smaller in diameter than my other
bowl gouges. The shaft length is 9 inches but the usable flute length
is only 3 3/4 inches. In comparison, my new Packard bowl gouge has a
shaft length of 9 3/4 and a usable flute length of 5 3/4.

My biggest complaint is the flute itself. It is straight sided--nearly
a v-shape. When used head on, the cutting width is narrow. It works ok
when cutting with the wings but there is minimal transition between a
straight wing cut and a v cut. Similar to having a right and a left
narrow skew chisels joined together.

So, to me, it is worth about what it cost.

I must have smaller hands than I thought.. ;~]

Might depend on the grind and how it's used?
I do a pretty aggressive sweep and don't use the tip/point, so they seem fine to
me..
I just ordered 2 more plus a 1" roughing gouge... I'll grind 1 swept and the
other more a conventional fingernail and see how it works..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing