Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Review of Benjamin's Best

I got a 5/8" bowl gouge. It cost $20 plus not including shipping. The
handle is ok lengthwise for me but smaller in diameter than my other
bowl gouges. The shaft length is 9 inches but the usable flute length
is only 3 3/4 inches. In comparison, my new Packard bowl gouge has a
shaft length of 9 3/4 and a usable flute length of 5 3/4.

My biggest complaint is the flute itself. It is straight sided--nearly
a v-shape. When used head on, the cutting width is narrow. It works ok
when cutting with the wings but there is minimal transition between a
straight wing cut and a v cut. Similar to having a right and a left
narrow skew chisels joined together.

So, to me, it is worth about what it cost.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my