Lennie the Lurker

Default Cutting down a reamer shaft?

(GMasterman) wrote in message ...
Anyone ever cut down a reamer shaft? I've got a 1" reamer that I need to be
able to hold in a half inch chuck to ream polyethlylene. Tailstock is M2 and
the reamer was not availiable in anything less than M3. By the time I added a
M3 to M2 to a M3 reamer, it would be too long. Shaft is not real hard, file
will cut the surface. Ideas?

I've done it, angle the compound with the reamer between centers, take
light cuts, don't even need carbide for it. Just be careful that
nothing happens to the center on the tang, if you ever want to sharpen
the reamer and have it come out right. When you get close to size,
bluing and a new or very little used sleeve will show you where the
angle is wrong. Grinding would be the ideal way, but may not be
available to you. Not sure I'd want to grind from a #3 to a #2,
probably turn to within .010" or so then grind. The taper shanks
aren't hard, but are still tool steel, keep the speeds down and you
should be ok.

In the same line, I take broken TS drills and use the shanks to mount
smaller drill chucks salvaged from burned up hand drills. cheap way
to get around the 1/16 minimum on the half inch chucks I have. Just
cut them off with a hacksaw, not an abrasive wheel. Reason should be
obvious.