Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default low energy bulbs again - how low energy?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:18:49 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"David Hansen" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:33:08 +0100 someone who may be David in
Normandy wrote this:-

I've been disappointed with low energy bulbs. They
don't seem to last any longer than ordinary filament bulbs

They do in the houses I look after. Perhaps there is something with
your electricity supply, or you are getting the lamps from a
supermarket.

They do in our house too. We mark each one with the date of start of use and
the source when we put them in a holder.

Mary, you deserve the Nobel prize for literacy for your efforts.

You are an Ace, a Paragon, and a Martyr all rolled into one.

We know that now so you don't need to tell us again.

But : What's a "Holder" and what is the significance of putting a CFL
into one ???

Of course that doesn't measure the number of hours used

In that, you are correct.

but we've found that they do last for many years.

We don't. Our experience is :

About 30% down from the manufacturers claim from brand new. (measured)

About 3 minutes to get to 90% of ultimate maximum output. (measured)

After 1 year ultimate maximum output down by nearly 50% (measured)

About 75% dead within much less than 18 months of service. (Recorded)

We've been replacing our conventional lamps with them for years.

Odd that. So the lamps you were previously using must also have a
lifetime measured in years. What kind of lamps were they ?

Halogens don't perform well.

Well mine aren't bad, and at least they aren't about to become
compulsory. Maybe there is a problem with the electricity in your
house or you buy them from a supermarket. Dynamo Hansen says/implies
these come into that category of things that are "A bad thing".

Our latest experiments are with LEDS, so far we're very please

Would it be too much to ask for you to kindly translate that last
sentence into standard English ?

but it's early days.

Of that, I'm sure.

Could you please at least give us an interim report into your results?

Even a rough listing of the "measurements" you made in your
"experiment" (power input/light output, beamwidth, colour
temperature, over a time frame would be a help. You wouldn't want
"the ones with willies" ;-) to steal a march on you would you,
just because they know what they are doing and have gone through the
training for it, and being doing it for years.

Trifling reason of course we all accept that.

Don't we everybody :-)))) ?

Oh, and BTW. Are you any further forward than you were in measuring
the solar heat gain achieved by your toy solar thermal water heating
system in December / January ?

Do you still have a "Deep Bath" in the morning and then fire up a
20/30 kWatt (?) boiler (the type of which you claim is irrelevant) to
do the washing up for 3 people via a 120 litre cylinder (?).

DG