Posted to rec.woodworking
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default How smooth is smooth enough? Amateur Q.

9.9 Fingers wrote:
"Twayne" wrote in message
SNIP
For dust control I have a celing fan with a furnace filter
attached to it. I turn it on a couple hours before I start and
leave it on during the application. Then I avoid creating more dust
with other projects during the setup times and my last coat comes
out perfect for me.

Always looking for ways to control the dust, but can't imagine how you
attach the furnace filter to a ceiling fan. Can you please "draw" me
a word picture.

Thanks,
Gary

I'll try, but I can send a pic or two if this doesn't work. It's really
pretty simple.
AH, I see! Not a "celing fan" but a fan ON the ceiling. Sorry if I
made that confusing!

I have a 20 x 20 box fan suspended from the celing so it can be aimed
from near horizontal in either direction or straight down at the work,
especially the table saw to push stray dust out of my way when I saw.
For finishing, I use a 20 x 20 furnace filter and just tape it over
the "in" side of the fan. I use paper shipping tape bacause they get
dirty pretty fast at first. I run the fan a medium speed.
I'll also vacuum off the dust a couple times until the air starts
getting clear, then when I'm ready to finish I put a new filter on it.
They only cost about a buck apiece at Lowes; same ones as my house
furnace uses, in fact.

When the fan is running the filter will stay in place without any tape,
but you do have to tape it so the filter will stay in place when you
turn the fan off.

No, it's never harmed the fan and it pulls the air thru the filter just
fine. When I'm not doing finishing I'll usually aim it straight down
and toss a 10 x 10 on it for GP's of catching the dust. Keeps the shop
overal cleaner it seems.

Twayne