Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default OT, but slightly .... gun question

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:06:03 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Snag" wrote

I have a stainless 77 in .270 . Haven't noticed any problem with accuracy
, but then I haven't shot it much . *******s have closed the only public
rifle range in this part of Tennessee .
--

Snag

Had a M77 7 mm Rem. Mag, and it shot fine. Sold it because it had bad
karma.

The problem, as I read it was that Ruger subcontracted out some of the
drilling, and it was slightly off on some rifles. So bad in some that a
full refund was given on switching to another gun.

Steve

On many 77s the faces of the actions were not trued up before the
barrel went on, and as they heated..they went all over the place.

Ive had at least 2 that were "shotguns" and had face the actions,
reinstall the barrel and reset the head space, before they would shoot
worth a damn.

77V in 308...best 5 shot group was 2". This for a heavy barreled
varminter. After truing, .5"

Thats just simply not excusable for a factory weapon.

Gunner