Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default How smooth is smooth enough? Amateur Q.

"m. scott veach" wrote

I am sanding the plywood (birch) and I realized that I don't know when
I am done...

With plywood you'll know all too soon ... right after you've sanded through
the veneer.

With most furniture grade plywoods, a _light_ sanding with anything from 150
to 220 grit should suffice for just about any finish.

For your particuar project, take a piece of the plywood scrap and sand away
at it until your break through the veneer. This will give you a practical
idea of what to expect with that particular material.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07