Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Lubricants

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:47:24 -0500, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Paul wrote:

Well, it's just semantics, but technically the carriage is what rides on
the ways, which are oiled with way oil via the little brass fittings
with the check balls (what I always called 'Gits' fittings, maybe there
is a more proper term). The apron is generally the gearbox on the front
of the carriage with the controls, gearing and clutches for engaging the
long and cross feeds, also the half nuts for cutting screw threads. The
carriage also supports the cross slide, which in turn supports the
compound slide (in machines so equipped).

Yeah. After my posting, I found in my 5914 manual that Clausing calls
the part riding on the bed ways the saddle, and the part hanging down in
front and full of gears the apron. So, we are aligned.

Specifically the saddle sits on the ways, the apron is bolted to the front of
the saddle and the whole lot is called the carriage.

Mark Rand
RTFM