DoN. Nichols

Default Shop computer question

In article ,
keith bowers wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article ,
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[ ... ]

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. BTW I do also
have
a wireless router for my wife's laptop. She is able to get about 30 feet
away and then loses signal. Maybe there are better routers?

Does she have encryption turned on on that wireless router? If
not, then people outside can connect to your computers and use your
network connection. I see about a half dozen wireless networks from my
house, and only one of them has encryption enabled (other than my own,
which also has a true firewall at each end of a connection to a friend's
house.)

[ ... ]

First generation wireless encryption was almost worthless; IIRC passwords
sent in clear text.

The WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) is a *bit* better than that,
but still breakable. This is why we have a firewall at each end, and
all traffic between them is sent via ssh (Secure SHell), which encrypts
*everything* with *serious* encryption.

There is a third form -- beyond WEP -- though I forget what it
is called. I *still* would not trust it without the ssh and firewall
bit, anyway. :-)

I gather second generaction is a bit better. Maybe I'm
just paranoid, but I wouldn't let any form of wireless near any control
application.

Amen! I was not suggesting wireless. The original poster
mentioned that his wife had it, and I was advising at least turning on
encryption on that -- *not* using it for the shop connections.

The encryption serves *one* function, at least. The "warchalkers"
will usually go for the easier targets in the neighborhood. (Except for
those out to make a reputation. :-)

If you want a clean connection in a noisy or lightning-prone environment
spend more money and go fiber optic. It would be a LOT cheaper than a
crashed CNC machining center or getting killed.

Indeed. I've got fiber optics running out to /dev/barn01, but
most don't know where to pick up the stuff to do that. (And I don't
even have machine tools in /dev/barn01 -- not enough power to run them.)
I use that for playing with strange computers which I don't want to
bother to find room for in the house.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564