Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob Marilyn & Bob is offline

Default Metal floor joists in home to combat termites?

"Norminn" wrote in message

I have an older neighbor in a 100 year old townhouse-style house who
gets termites every other year, which means I get termites every other
year. I have damaged joists under my kitchen. I was told by a flaky
contractor that we should get these replaced by metal joists to guard
against future damage. I have, let's guess, 12 joists at about 20
feet or shorter length.

Has anyone done this. Can you discuss cost? Is it a sane idea? I'd
like to decide whether or not to eliminate it as a possibility or hold
it in the back of my mind.

thanks!

What evidence is there every other year that termites have invaded? What
kind of termites?
What kind of treatment was done? When? What area of country?
For starters, your neighbor having termites does not mean that your home
is infested. If
termite treatment was done, there should be some kind of contract or
insurance for
reinfestation/repair of damage.

As for metal joists, that seems like overkill, if you are sincerely
considering such. That
still leaves wall studs, roof rafters, etc. Have you researched termite
prevention? Good
idea, because there are a great deal of relatively simple measures to take
to keep them
out.........closing up plumbing openings and other gaps in outer surfaces,
keeping tree
limbs and landscaping off wood parts of structure, keeping wood painted
and sound,
checking for mud tubes inside and outside of foundations, keep roof sound
and dry,
maintaining at least 6" from soil to wood structural members.

Will people please read and respond to the situation of the OP. These are
100 year old ATTACHED houses. They may have as little as an 8" party wall
(now I'm making an assumption) between them. He is concerned about the
untreated termite situation in his neighbor's house because the joists in
that house probably butt up against his joists making for easy termite
passage. I agree that treatment and not metal joists is the best solution,
but this situation is far more complicated that all the previous respondents
have realized.
--
Peace,
BobJ