Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default Compound angle Box Joint

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
| Not sure I can help with machine cut box joints, but I've been making one
| from a nasty piece of cherry with handcut dovetails... I just put a
couple
| photos up on ABPW before it was glued up while test fitting the bottom.
If
| the pictures disappear before you see them Doug Stowe has them on his
blog
| athttp://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html.
|
| Using the same philosophy for the box joints as for the dovetails the
| fingers should be in line with the grain rather than with the miter
cuts.

| John
|
| Philosophically I agree with you that the pins should be in line with
| the grain instead of angled to the grain. But from a practical
| standpoint, I can't for the life of me figure out how to make those
| cuts on a table saw. Not saying it can't be done, I just can't get my
| mind wrapped around it. But my curiosity is getting the better of
| me. If anybody has an answer, please attempt to put it into words.
|
| By the way, while I'm interested in the conundrum, I'll be out of
| pocket for a few days. My 16 year old daughter is singing at Carnegie
| Hall on Sunday. Pretty big deal for a country boy from Mississippi.
| Does that qualify for a drive-by?

Cool on Carnegie!

RE the puzzle at hand... I'm thinking that if you made a box joint jig for
the table saw that has a tall inclined fence that has an inclined ramp cut
at the complimentary angle with the indexing pin on the face of the fence it
would work... the blade would be left at 90 degrees (or 0 depending on your
world view ;~) ) and raised high enough to cut the slots. I posted a sketch
on ABPW.

John