Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark F Mark F is offline

Default Banning incandescent lamps?

Cydrome Leader wrote:
clare wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:22:52 GMT, "BillM"
wrote:

Got sucked into the whole compact flourescent whirlpool a
few years ago. Local
power company (Portland General Electric) was handing out
coupons for free/deep
discount/rebate on compact flourescents, and we were
lighting up a new home.
I think there are maybe 4 left in the whole house. Short
life, unacceptable warm up time,
just general crappy performance. Unless there has been a
huge improvement in
the CF technology, I'll keep my incandescents!

Likewise. All you can buy is cheap but overpriced Chinese CRAP that
burns out or otherwise fails in less than 2 years - generally within 6
months.
I still have a few incandescent bulbs in the house that were here when
I bought it 27 years ago.

Todays long tube flourescents are also nothing but crap. Untill I
changed out to halogens in my office/rec room I was replacing tubes
every couple of months, and ballasts every year or so.

get commercial grade flourescent bulbs from an electrical or lighting
supply place. Anything at home depot is junk. You will pay more, but those
cheap crap bulbs don't work.

And I'll chime in about the circular ones. Bought 4, dual ring bulb
type, 2 died in 6 months, 2 in 8. Replaced bulbs in all (100 effing
Canadian dollars from Home Depot!), all died in a week, obviously the
ballasts went South. Bring me those halogen 150-watters! /mark