Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default Replace a bathroom exhaust motor

dar wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:08 pm, dar wrote:
i need to replace the motor on my bathroom fan. the brand name of the
fan is Aira which search of the internet reveals nothing.

in seeking a replacment motor can i just look for a similar motor
with shaft lenght and diameter (so the blade fits correctly)?? or is
it critical to also look at the RPM and current ratings?

unfortunately taking out the fan assembly to put in a new fan is not
an option i can undertake

my fan motor ratings are (and if anyone knows of a suitable
replacement i appreciate your providing that as well)

Model VSB-P90A
CCW
Stack = 0.85in
Shaft = 0.25in diameter
Shaft = 1.75in lenth

RPM = 2000
1.27Amps

Yes, you could; you have ample information to compare electrically to a
replacement motor too. The rpm is probably a no-load rpm, so make sure
you compare apples and oranges, but the current can be higher within
reason.
If you get a choice between continuous duty and short cycle duty go
for the continuous; it'll last longer. Make sure rotation is the same
direction since you already have the fan blade.
Go for the no-oil/maintenance type, "Class 2" or "Class II" if
possible (same thing, they just label it differently). It means it
doesn't rely on an earth ground for safety even though you still want to
use an earth ground if any metal parts are exposed in any way
whatsoever.

Depending on where you live you could probably call a few fix-it shops
and luck out rather easily finding a motor that'd work. I've got a
garage half full of probably suitable motors, but I can tell from your
posting you're nowhere near me.

I have to wonder though; it's probably *much* easier to just pull out
the old and slip in a brand new one than to frog around replacing the
motor and any jury rigs it might require. Why can't you just replace
it? It'd be a lot less work in the end. And faster to get done.
Nutone makes some handy ones for easy installs; can't think of the
others right now.

Whatever you do, be certain the Earth Gnd connections are tight and
proper when you're done.