Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default Metal floor joists in home to combat termites?

ransley wrote:
On Jan 10, 10:55 am, Robert Allison wrote:
wrote:
I have an older neighbor in a 100 year old townhouse-style house who
gets termites every other year, which means I get termites every
other year. I have damaged joists under my kitchen. I was told by a
flaky contractor that we should get these replaced by metal joists
to guard against future damage. I have, let's guess, 12 joists at
about 20 feet or shorter length.

Has anyone done this. Can you discuss cost? Is it a sane idea? I'd
like to decide whether or not to eliminate it as a possibility or
hold it in the back of my mind.

thanks!

Seems like it would be alot cheaper to just install termite
shields. I don't know how far above grade your joists are,
but metal joists are expensive and unnecessary for termite
prevention. There are other methods that are more cost effective.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Get rid of the termites they will eat everything else and probably
are , you just cant see them

Brilliant contribution: Just FANtasstic.