Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default Metal floor joists in home to combat termites?

Seems a lot eaiser to me to just treat for the termites. They don't come
and go as you describe. Read up on termites, and call some termite experts
in for estimates. You can replace the joists, but what about all the stuff
the termites eat? They usually go after siding, the backside of sheetrock,
plywood, etc. etc. Not just joists.

wrote in message
I have an older neighbor in a 100 year old townhouse-style house who
gets termites every other year, which means I get termites every other
year. I have damaged joists under my kitchen. I was told by a flaky
contractor that we should get these replaced by metal joists to guard
against future damage. I have, let's guess, 12 joists at about 20
feet or shorter length.

Has anyone done this. Can you discuss cost? Is it a sane idea? I'd
like to decide whether or not to eliminate it as a possibility or hold
it in the back of my mind.

thanks!