Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Metal floor joists in home to combat termites?

wrote:

I have an older neighbor in a 100 year old townhouse-style house who
gets termites every other year, which means I get termites every other
year. I have damaged joists under my kitchen. I was told by a flaky
contractor that we should get these replaced by metal joists to guard
against future damage. I have, let's guess, 12 joists at about 20
feet or shorter length.

Has anyone done this. Can you discuss cost? Is it a sane idea? I'd
like to decide whether or not to eliminate it as a possibility or hold
it in the back of my mind.

thanks!

Seems like it would be alot cheaper to just install termite
shields. I don't know how far above grade your joists are,
but metal joists are expensive and unnecessary for termite
prevention. There are other methods that are more cost effective.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.