Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default 2008 Pres

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

CJT wrote:

Where have you seen these watered down texts? By "where", I mean
the name of the school district, as well as the city & state.

Texas generally. Periodically new texts are approved. All the
nutcases show up with their imagined grievances. The publishers
attempt to avoid confrontation by appeasement.

Ah, yes. I remember the famous case where a group objected to an American
History text on the grounds, inter alia, that it devoted four pages to
Marilyn Monroe and one page to George Washington.

Texas has a big effect on school textbooks inasmuch as the state buys the
books for the entire state and provides them at no charge to the school
districts. In other jurisdictions, each school district makes its own
decisions.

I have a friend who recently retired from the upper echelons of a
major purveyor of textbooks (who shall remain nameless) who periodically
(following loosening his tongue somewhat with adult beverages) would
discuss in great detail how they basically wrote texts to keep TX and/or
CA happy as these were the biggest customers. Some of the balancing that
entailed was enlightening, if not uplifting....