Posted to uk.d-i-y
john[_7_] john[_7_] is offline

Default replacing tv cables and arials

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
I bought a ALBA freeview box that wasn't picking up ITV/ITV2 and ITV3 and
probably a few others.
I took it back because it had a major fault.
I bought a new sagem receiver which displayed a signal strength
between 23 - 27 but this doesn't receive the ITV channels either.
Im on merseyside so can anyone say if their freeview box has
picked up these channels and what the signal strength they are getting.

Anyway, I've decided to call decent aeriel fitter and have the best
components/cables
to replace the old.
However, I would'nt know what a good or bad cable looked like to save my
miserable
life so I'm going to buy it myself and the monkey man can fit it for me.
So what spec of cable should I be looking for?
I had a digi aerial fitted last year but I probably need another one
because I want it/them
to feed 5 rooms in the house.

All manner of advice and tips required.

Thanks.

Arthur

You have a choice of two transmitters, Winter Hill or Storeton. Winter Hill
is the main one but doesn't cover some areas very well - Storeton is better
if you can get it. It needs a vertical aerial and the channels are on the
lower end of the band. Winter Hill causes loads of problems as you will
find ITV/QVC etc all break up as the output power is quite low and so are
the aerials. The BBC channels never break up, it depends on how much people
pay as to how high up the aerials go.

Don't get ripped off when having the aerial fitted. Make sure it is a
decent one - the coax should connect to the aerial via a small "F"
connector. The ones with screw terminals in a box go corroded after a few
years and water gets in to the coax. Fitters don't know how to waterproof
things. Self amalgamating tape should be used over the F connector, then
insulation tape. The coax needs to be "CT100" type, not the cheap copy sold
in electrical wholesalers. It's well screened and has a foil layer. If you
have the old brown coax then it's best binned, the outer jacket is affected
by UV and cracks after turning green!

For distribution get yourself along to B&Q and have a look how much the
amplifiers are as a guide.
Don't allow them to start fitting masthead preamps, the aerial should be of
sufficient size to do the job. Also watch out for interference from TETRA
systems nearby, go for an amplifier with a TETRA filter.

There are a few cowboys in the North West area when it comes to aerial
fitting. For a single aerial and coax in to the loft to an existing
amplifier or cable to one room, I would suggest paying no more than £130.
Anyone wanting more should break down the cost and give model numbers of
equipment, then you can check on the costs. Ignore recommended firms by
Trading Standards, it doesn't recognise a company that subcontracts others
to do a poor job!

The final thing is, there is no such thing as a "digital aerial", that's a
sales thing. Most aerials will pick up digital and analogue signals. If
you had one fitted last year then the corrosion i was on about or water
getting in to the coax has degraded your signal. Call the fitter back and
get him to sort it as it's unreasonable to last 12 months.