Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement external overflow toilet pipe leaking - any ideas?

JE wrote:
Hi,

I'm slowly going mad trying to fix my close coupled Ideal Standard
(made in 2000) Kyomi toilet cistern.

The cistern was leaking externally and ruining the floor, so I have
removed the cistern and completely replaced all its internals (siphon,
inlet and external overflow ).

However I cannot seem to seat the replacement external overflow pipe
correctly as it still seems to drip (the toilet blue coloured) water
down the outside of the overflow pipe.. Thankfully I am doing my
testing with the cistern in the bath!

In practie the overflow should never operate - its only there as a back up
in case the ball valve fails.

If you have replaced the siphon, that may well have an internal overflow
anyway. All of the ones I have bought in the last two years have.

I have fitted the supplied rubber washer on the inside of the cistern,
however it seems that water is still making its way around the washer
(on the inside of the cistern) and down the outside of the overflow
pipe.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Liberally apply LSX to both sides of the washer. Leave for an hour & try.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk