Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sla#s Sla#s is offline

Default Replacing seals in sports car hardtop

robgraham wrote:
The seals need replacing in my wife's Mazda MX5 hardtop. I've got the
seals but I see that the original ones are held into the fibre glass
with a couple of pop rivets. On the soft top, the similar seals are
held in with screws.

I don't think I can get to the back of the holes so I'm assuming that
I'm going to have to use pop rivets again. I take it that they are
removable with the appropriate bit of judicious drilling ?

I think I qualify as an expert here as I am forever removing them to fit new
seals!
The best way to remove (non-countersunk) pop rivets (Tucker pops) is to use
a single sided chisel* to remove the head and then punch the body through.
There is a bit of a knack to giving the head exactly the right tap to remove
it cleanly .
Check first that the steel centre mandrel is not still in place - if it is
then
punch it out first.
It can help to just start to drill them out but they often start to turn and
end up making the hole larger.

*(Those of us who remove them a lot make our own chisel to do the job - you
can make it from a 3/8" metal work chisel - it needs to be flat on one side
but slightly curved up to clear the bodywork - a bit like the sharp end of a
wood chisel that has been bent )

Slatts